School Demographics

Edgewood High School currently serves 497 students in grades 9 through 12, drawing from more than 35 middle schools from throughout the Madison metropolitan area, communities up to 50 miles distant, and from overseas.

 Where EHS Students Live

EHS Hometowns

Students receiving financial assistance   36%  
Total financial assistance provided annually  $710,000  
American students of color  13.7%*
International students of color  6.6%  
 *Students of color constitute approximately 21% of the Madison metropolitan area population.

Edgewood High School is accredited by ISACS (Independent Schools Association of the Central States)

Outstanding Faculty

Faculty StatisticsEdgewood has a dedicated team of teachers, coaches and staff, many of whom have been at the school for more than 20 years. They get to know students on an individual basis and go above and beyond to ensure academic success and to recognize students for their accomplishments outside the classroom as well.

Faculty honors and distinctions:

11 Herb Kohl Education Foundation Teacher Fellowships
9 Norman Bassett Foundation Outstanding Teacher Awards
3 Fulbright Teacher Awards/Fellowships
3 National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowships
1 Wisconsin VFW State High School Teacher of the Year   
1 Wisconsin Association of College Admissions and Counseling High School Counselor of the Year   
9 Other state/national-level awards

Personalized Attention

Teacher/student: 1 to 10
Average class size: 19
Counselor/student: 1 to 166

ACT Test Scores 

 Year  Edgewood  Wisconsin  National  EHS
Test Takers
2018 25.6 19.7  20.8  100% 
2017 26.0 20.5  21.0  100% 
 26.2  20.5  20.8  100%
 2015  26.3  22.2  21.0  100%
 2014  25.1  22.2  21.0  98%

Advanced Placement Test Results

Edgewood offers 14 AP courses. The number of students who choose to take an AP course has continued to grow, with students taking the class as an additional sign of academic challenge and initiative, regardless of whether their final test score qualifies for college credit (3 or higher).
 Year  Students taking
one or more Exams
 Exams with Score of 
3 or Higher
 AP Scholar Awards
 2018  180  77%  53
 2017  194  69%  64
 2016  205  68%  53
2015  184  68%  38
2014  165  82%  32

National Merit Honors

The National Merit Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in 1955. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, a test which serves as an initial screen of approximately 1.6 million entrants each year—and by meeting published program entry and participation requirements. Edgewood consistently has an average of about 9 to 10 students recognized annually:

2018 Graduates: 2 Finalists, 6 Commended
2017 Graduates:
4 Finalists, 7 Commended
2016 Graduates: 6 Finalists, 9 Commended
2015 Graduates: 3 Finalists, 5 Commended
2014 Graduates: 6 Finalists, 4 Commended
2013 Graduates: 4 Finalists, 5 Commended

Additional Honors, Class of 2017

  • 66% graduated with honors
  • 36% had a gpa of 3.9 or higher
  • 61% were members of the Edgewood Honor Society
  • 118 took 425 AP exams over their high school career 
  • 1 Kohl Educational Foundation Scholar
  • 1 Kohl Educational Foundation Initiative Scholar
  • 97 received $10.1 million in scholarship offers
  • 60 accepted $3.1 million in scholarship offers

Advanced Schooling

Edgewood students matriculate to post-secondary education at  a consistent rate of 97% annually. The remaining 3% (1-3 students annually) choose from options including military service, junior hockey, gap year programs or independent career pursuits.
In the past five years, Edgewood graduates have been accepted to 129 of the 208 schools on the combined Forbes Top 100 list and US News Top 100 National Universities and Top 100 Liberal Arts Colleges lists, including 44 Catholic colleges and universities.

2017 Matriculation Map Read a list of universities and colleges that have accepted our graduates over the past five years.

See a map of universities and colleges EHS 2017 graduates are attending.

Download a copy of the school profile information, including a quick-look course listing